A Cold night on the Mer de Glace

On Thursday, I made the most of the full moon and the beautiful weather we have been having, by heading up into the high mountains for a wee overnight camping adventure.

First I set off from the busy Mer de Glace tourist attraction:


Next I  made haste up the glacier and was soon enjoying the solitude on one of the busiest weeks of the winter.

Splitboard touring on the Mer de Glace. Aiguille du Tacul and Grandes Jorrasses in the distance.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds.

Edward Abbey.

After just a few hours of sliding my way up this expansive glacier, the binding on my splitboard broke. This got me pretty annoyed for a while as I hadn't got as far as I wanted to, but the whole point on going on a wee adventure like this was to simply get away from the norm and I certainly had! So I unloaded my bag, put up my tent and had a cup of tea!

As day turned into night, the stars started to come out. I didn't expect to see much in the way of stars since there was a full moon and usually the moon will flood the sky with too much light to be able to see them.

A beautiful show of stars  before the moon drowned them out.

A starry night

A black and white conversion with a blue tone layer 

After spending  an hour or so outside of the tent standing around,  I was so cold so decided to head to the warmth of my sleeping bag, make another cup of tea and read my book "Blood River". Its about a journalist recreating H.M. Stanley's famous expedition through the Congo from east to west by motorbike, canoe and on foot. A truly gripping read which sets my imagination into overdrive on whats next for travels and holidays!

So I'm in my nice warm sleeping bag as comfortable as one can be when you're lying on an icy cold glacier. I can't get to sleep due to the light pouring in to the tent, so I grudgingly climb out of my cocoon, put my jacket and boots back on and clamber out of the tent to be faced with an incredible sight, which I will never forget.

I set my alarm for 4.30 am to hopefully get some shots of the sunrise, but it was not to be, for there was a white-out and strong winds rattling against my tent. Therefore, I climbed back into my bag and slept until 7.30 am.

If my binding was not broken, then I would have carried on exploring for the morning, but instead packed up my tent and made my way back to civilisation.

I'd love to try and get a multi-day trip in some time this spring but it's now wedding season and I'm heading back to the UK.